Mission and Goals
The Department of Bionutrition is dedicated to promoting health and quality of life through the pursuit of clinical research.
The goals of the Department of Bionutrition are:
- To support the mission of the Rockefeller University Hospital Center for Translational Science (CTSA) program by providing quality care to research participants.
- To promote nutrition research
- To provide regular, therapeutic, and research diets to all research participants as needed.
- To facilitate communication and collaboration among individuals with interest in nutrition research
- To strengthen research skills and broaden the knowledge of bionutrition.
Scope of Care
The bionutritionist and bionutrition technician/manager are responsible for the design, monitoring of compliance and outcome, and oversight of the production and distribution of all research participants’ diets. Scientifically constructed meals are created using computer software to meet the protocol requirements of the investigator.
The bionutrition department also
- Provides nutritionally balanced meals/or meals that meet the investigational protocol for a period of time that will not cause harm to a research participant and have been prepared in a safe and sanitary manner, meeting all regulatory requirements.
- Monitors the quality of food service and quality of clinical care through quality assurance programs and implements corrective action plans when necessary.
- Maintains close working relationships with the medical and nursing staff and other interdisciplinary research teams.